Thursday, September 27, 2012

Luck be a Katie

I can't tell you the number of times in my life I've been told, "You're so lucky!" or "Everything always works out for you!" or "You could fall in a pile of sh*t and come up smelling like roses!" These statements may often be right. But the way people look at it is wrong.

Let me explain. I'm not lucky by chance, I'm lucky by choice. I'm not lucky because the Universe spun a wheel one day and magically landed upon my name stating "Katie, from this day forth you shall go on living forever in luck." I'm lucky because I choose to be.

Luck isn't a matter of chance, it’s a matter of open-mindedness, positivity & taking risks without fear of failure. Like they say, if you never try, you’ll never succeed. Cliche I know, but so very true. This doesn't mean you won’t have some (or many!) failures along the way. Luck isn't a random win, luck isn't a lottery drawing, luck is a special moment when all the things you've been tripping over are suddenly stacking up in your favor. Or you suddenly realize that all the sad or crazy or weird things that may have occurred in the past led you precisely to this exact lucky moment. And you weirdly become grateful for those moments you once cursed.

Luck is a state of mind. Sure I'm "lucky" and that's what a lot of you see when you see me. My adventures, my friends, my love, my family, my home, my job. But it's because I choose to focus on these awesome things that I am lucky. I have plenty of bad days, plenty of bad mornings, plenty of annoying things happen to me and around me. But it's because I don't advertise those things, I don't remember those things, and I definitely don't use those things as excuses, that I am able to appear to be so "lucky." 

Luck is a decision. Luck is a choice. Luck is a way of life. Luck doesn't mean I get what I want all the time. It means I focus on the times when I do get what I want and then slowly the universe starts to notice and delivers more of it....and more... And More... AND MORE!! 

So next time you look at someone and think, "Must be nice to be lucky like them." Remember, it is nice. And it is your choice to do the same. 

-WWW 

"In the long run, the pessimist may be proved right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip." - Daniel L. Reardon


1 comment:

  1. I was talking to Steph about this moment tonight; when "all the sad or crazy or weird things that may have occurred in the past led you precisely to this exact lucky moment". About how when that moment hits for me, how amazing I believe it is going to be. But also how much it is going to mean not just to me but to everyone who has supported and cheered and hoped and prayed for me along the way. It will have nothing to do with luck as it is defined although it may end up looking like that to others. It will be a combination of so many things, years, and people that, as you said will have brought me to that moment, that it can't be called "luck" because that will barely do justice to all that will have gone in to helping, encouraging, supporting and allowing the universe to bring me to that point. I've been "lucky", it has come and gone- luck to me is temporary. I continue now because I believe what will come next is so much more. From what I know from Steph, you aren't lucky, you have faith and are more open to what the universe (or God or Buddha or whatever word someone chooses) is leading you to than the average person is and calling it luck is easier for people than the alternative. Its very, very admirable!!

    ReplyDelete