Monday, July 23, 2012

Weighing in...

During the time I spent daydreaming of moving to Colorado- I had big dreams and expectations. I was certain I would get out here, get healthier, lose weight, gain strength, bag peaks & get lost over & over again the wilderness. And while I may appear to be seemingly active to friends back home, I'm actually quite lazy and have grown a bit lazier since moving to Colorado.  I blame it on the drinking & working from home... It's hard to get up and motivated each day when the only thing you have to do is crawl out of bed in your pj's and walk into the other room and stare zombie-eyed at your laptop screen. I don't even have to make my own coffee... my hard-working boyfriend is up at 5:30am every day for work and makes sure there's hot coffee waiting for me by the time I wake up at 7am. I live the life eh? While this may seem like the life to most people and of course I can not and will not complain, it doesn't do much for my well-being, my state-of-mind or my laziness. 

Since moving to Colorado I have gained 20 lbs (5 of which was lost in the past couple weeks....impending trip to Vegas has helped with that one). I also found out at a recent doctor visit that my blood pressure is too high for my age (pre-hypertension...what?!) and the eye doctor told me my "eye pressure" is high...I didn't even know what that meant and then she said something about Glaucoma. Awesome. 

So not only has my health declined since moving to Colorado, but my motivation has declined along with it. What's up with that? That's not me.... That's not the girl who used to get up before work and go run 3 miles everyday. That's not the girl who would walk/bike everywhere in walking/biking distance. That's not the girl who used to do crew races & a marathon & several other running/obstacle courses. 

I didn't know anyone when I moved here, so instead of doing something healthy like joining a local club or introducing myself to people at a coffee shop or library, I went to bars. And while this helped immensely for my social life- it didn't do much for my gut or my next-day's activities. So as someone recently interested in self-improvement I've decided to try something new this week; to hopefully help my laziness & my health. I've decided to make 3 goals for the week (3 goals which do not cost money). I'm starting off small- I don't want to make big goals that you and I both know I won't carry out. They may seem small or cheesy but my hope is that with little goals being accomplished, I'll naturally set and complete bigger goals down the road. On top of all this, I've decided to write down 3 things a day I'm thankful for just to keep my mind in a positive place. It's also a good exercise that once you get in the habit of doing- you will naturally look for the good things all around you all the time, instead of always seeing/feeling the negative. 

"Thoughts attract things, so pick the good ones."-Mike Dooley

Let's see what I can do & I'll let you know if it helps my mental/physical state throughout the week. Anyone like to join me? :)

Goals: 

1. Go for at least 2 one-hour+ hikes
2. Go get the 2nd Hunger Games book from the library. 
3. Clean out the box full of sh*t I have next to my dresser. 

Thankful for: 

1. Living in a place where everyday I'm in awe at the beauty around me 
2. All the friends I've made so quickly in my new town
3. coffee, coffee, coffee

What are you thankful for? 


wei-wu-wei, 
WWW

1 comment:

  1. Love it, love the goal setting. I have been thinking a lot about that. Reading a lot of life changing/travel blogs and finding a common thread of advice, "Do little things every day to move toward your dream life." Hmm, I accomplished one of cleaning out my drawers last night and another of signing up for a blogging class last week. The rest of the week, I would like to read my library book at least three times and work out at least three more times. I would also like to write at least once.

    ReplyDelete